Friday, June 5, 2020

Springsteen Playlist: My Favorite Bruce

Best Bruce: 1973-2019

I made this playlist on 6/5/2020 for a friend of mine that loves Springsteen as much as I do.  It's hard for me to explain to the world how much this guy has meant to me over the years.  To start with, you have his music, with lyrics that are more akin to poetry than your standard rock n roll song.  His songs often posses such a strong spirituality without him ever overtly trying to sell someone on God or a specific religion.  There's the stories contained within his songs and his respect for all the women at the center of those stories.  To Bruce, these women are Mary, Wendy, Sandy, etc., always addressed by their first names.

After his music, you have the man himself.  Over the years, his decency and common sense, his insistence on always standing up for what's right, giving voice to those without one and allying with and speaking out in support of those trying to make the world a better place has always inspired me.

And so, my favorite Bruce songs.  Just to shake things up a little and give us a break from the overplayed studio versions, I've leaned towards live versions when available and when appropriate, acoustic performances over larger stadium productions.

After my friend, my sister Joanne, has had a chance to watch this and be surprised at my choices, I'll post a full set list naming every song.  Until then, enjoy the show!





Bonus videos


Springsteen on Colbert in 2016, discussing Bruce's top 5 favorite Bruce songs:



No comments:

Post a Comment