Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fiction: Email

Mark reads in bed. Jamie works at a laptop at a desk nearby.


Jamie: Remember when spam was nothing worse than that weekly email from your aunt?

Mark:
 My grandmother still sends her emails to the wrong person. Every. Single. Time.

Jamie:
 And this email from the faux Maiduguri prince.

Mark:
 Why ‘faux?’

Jamie:
 He misspells ‘Maiduguri’ but seems to know an awful lot about how PayPal works.

Mark (absently):
 Right.

Jamie:
 …and this email from Kathy.

Mark: (puts book down, looks up questioningly
)

Jamie:
 She was the one I thought was the one and almost moved to Canada with. But we couldn’t stop fighting about absolutely nothing until she finally broke up with me through Fed Ex.

Mark: (long silence
) The Tori Amos fan?

Jamie:
 Right!

Mark:
 Right. What does she say?

Jamie:
 She says she still hates me and the only reason she doesn’t wish me dead is that she wants to kill me herself.

Mark just stares at Jamie…


Jamie: …and if I admit that I was a douche to her, she will talk to me again.

Mark:
 Were you a douche?

Jamie: (long silence
) Probably.

Mark (nonplussed):
 Well, there you go.

Mark turns out light and rolls over, leaving Jamie illuminated only by the computer screen


Jamie: There were some smileys in there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment